An aide to Lamu Governor
He was questioned by the police officers investigating the Lamu and Mpeketoni killings.
The man was arrested while with a group of Coast leaders who were going to State House for a meeting with President
Timamy and the leaders were forced to cancel the meeting, sources familiar with the arrest said.
The arrest comes as detectives opened investigations into allegations that four politicians from the Coast had financed the attacks.
Investigators from the Serious Crime Unit and the Banking Fraud Unit are checking the bank accounts of the four leaders after the NIS reported that some of the leaders had received huge sums of money from
It is suspected that the funds, wired through bank money transfers, were used to pay for the attacks.
After the arrest, Timamy and other leaders drove to CID headquarters in Mazingira house where they tried to secure a release but failed.
Timamy could not be reached for comment as his phone was switched off. The governor is facing charges of murder, forcible eviction and terrorism.
Police charged him under the International Crimes Act. Timamy is the first person to be charged under this law locally.
CID chief Ndegwa Muhoro could not be reached for a comment as he was appearing before a parliamentary committee by the time of going to press.
Most Popular Stories
- Tablets, Cars Drive AT&T Gains
- 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata Is Fast and Eager
- Small Businesses Add 3 More Worries to Their List
- DOMA Tech Adding Jobs to Process VA Claims
- Apple Warns of China iCloud Attack
- Job Hunting Is Hard Work
- Tech Firms Flock to LA's 'Silicon Beach'
- Stocks Subdued After Gains Earlier in Week
- Ford, GM Expect to Report Strong Profits
- Consumer Prices Edge Up, Surprising Economists