In the first 15 minutes of trading, the 225-issue Nikkei Stock Average rose 11.99 points, or 0.08 percent, from Wednesday to 15,314.64. The broader
The market was top-heavy, however, after the government said before the opening bell that core private-sector machinery orders decreased a seasonally adjusted 19.5 percent in May from the previous month.
Major gainers included real estate, air transport and utility shares.
Most Popular Stories
- Prosecutor to Investigate Walmart Police Shooting
- GM to Announce New Jobs in Tennessee
- Mark Sanchez Suddenly a Hot QB Commodity
- Smith & Wesson Misses Target
- Emirates Hit Libyan Targets With Airstrikes
- Marco Rubio Warns Obama on Deportations
- Michael Brown Funeral: Can Americans Change the Script of Violence?
- American Killed With ISIS Fighters in Syria
- Surf's Up! SoCal Prepares for Big Storm Surf
- Ford Hires 300 at Louisville Lincoln Plant