The exhibition, which will be on view at the International Quilt Convention Africa, will display quilts by African American and South African quilt artists who are inspired by the life and legacy of the philanthropic political leader
Co-curated with Dr.
After opening in
Mazloomi, a recipient of the 2003 Ohio Arts Council Ohio Heritage Fellowship, founded the WCQN in 1985. The organization was established with the mission to educate, collect, preserve, exhibit and promote quilts made by African Americans.
Throughout the years, the WCQN has served as a resource on the history and themes of African American quiltmaking and has actively presented educational, social and economic developmental projects, workshops and exhibitions across the U.S. Today the organization has over 1,700 members.
Mazloomi is a celebrated quiltmaker, writer and community advocate whose work has been exhibited across the country in places such as the
Mazloomi was recently honored with the 2014 Bess Lomax Hawes National Heritage Fellowship Award by the
"Acknowledgment for doing something I dearly love, documenting, preserving and exhibiting African American quilts, is indeed an honor, said Mazloomi. The award is also acknowledgment of the importance of quilts and the artists who create them to our culture. The monetary award will be used to help endow the
To read the full press release from the NEA, click here (http://arts.gov/news/2014/nea-announces-lifetime-honors-recipients).
For more information on
For more information on the Women of Color Quilters Network, click here (http://www.wcqn.org/).
For more information on the
Most Popular Stories
- Neighbor Warns Chris Brown to Stay Off His Property
- Venezuelan Officials Banned From Traveling in U.S.
- Homeowners More Satisfied With Mortgage Servicers
- Ford Tremor: Easy to Park, Hard to Pay For
- WWE Showing Off Its Muscles
- As Jobs Market Strengthens, Many Don't Feel It
- Adrienne Bailon Disses Ex-Lover Rob Kardashian
- Target Taps Pepsi Exec as New CEO
- Hispanic Arts Leaders Unite Across the Border
- Islamic State Fights for Control of Syrian Oil Wealth