A recent study conducted by the
The study, which was headed by
The study, nicknamed the "Golden Triangle Study," highlights the fact that
The results of the report were highlighted with pungent potential, but clearly presented the reality that now is the time for
The authors of the study note that this report analyzes livestock expansion scenarios, providing a set of economic performance measures to sub-state regions and county-level economies. These measures will allow economic considerations to be incorporated into stakeholders' decision-making processes.
While nearby states have seen significant growth in livestock production in the last 10 years,
In light of these trends, Johnson's team analyzed several livestock-expansion scenarios that industry leaders consider quite possible, taking into account the economic multiplier effects that ripple through the state's economy from agriculture, especially in rural areas.
The report envisions the following expansion scenarios and estimates both direct and indirect economic impacts.
* A 25 percent expansion of hog finishing volume in
Total economic impact: 2,676 new jobs;
* More than a doubling of the state's current dairy herd numbers of 60,000, divided across three regions of the state and 18 counties. A total of 24 new dairy operations, each with a 2,500-head capacity and two new milk processing plants added.
Total economic impact: 3,128 new jobs; nearly
* A 10 percent increase in fed cattle production in the state, with expansion distributed geographically in similar proportion to current patterns of production.
Economic impact: 11,661 new jobs;
* A tripling of poultry (egg-laying) production in the state.
Economic impact: 1,640 new jobs;
The authors summarized the report by saying, "In closing, the economic challenges posed, as well as the associated economic opportunities afforded, are simply too weighty in
The Nebraska Corn Board's market development, research, promotion and education programs are funded and managed by
The nine-member Nebraska Soybean Board collects and disburses the
Most Popular Stories
- Doctor Who Christmas Episode Begins Production
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas
- SpaceX Aims for Predawn Launch on Saturday
- Women Key to Democratic Party: Clinton
- U.S. Chamber Caught Up in Tax Inversion Question
- Feds Won't Say How Many Border Crossers Jailed
- Christie Didn't Order Bridge Shut Down, Feds Say