FOUR men and woman were arrested in Larnaca on Wednesday in connection with loan sharking, police said.
The suspects, aged 38 to 45, were detained by police after a 34-year-old businessman filed a complaint that he had borrowed €23,000 at a 30 per cent interest from three different people.
The man said he had paid back €30,000 so far but the suspects allegedly demanded €70,000 more.
The man said he was forced to borrow the money due to financial problems he faced in the past year.
A police spokesman said the suspects were held in connection with extortion, usury, and profiteering.
Send to Kindle
Most Popular Stories
- Neighbor Warns Chris Brown to Stay Off His Property
- Venezuelan Officials Banned From Traveling in U.S.
- WWE Showing Off Its Muscles
- As Jobs Market Strengthens, Many Don't Feel It
- Target Taps Pepsi Exec as New CEO
- Islamic State Fights for Control of Syrian Oil Wealth
- House Votes to Sue Obama
- Hispanic Arts Leaders Unite Across the Border
- Homeowners More Satisfied With Mortgage Servicers
- Adrienne Bailon Disses Ex-Lover Rob Kardashian