FOUR men and woman were arrested in Larnaca on Wednesday in connection with loan sharking, police said.
The suspects, aged 38 to 45, were detained by police after a 34-year-old businessman filed a complaint that he had borrowed €23,000 at a 30 per cent interest from three different people.
The man said he had paid back €30,000 so far but the suspects allegedly demanded €70,000 more.
The man said he was forced to borrow the money due to financial problems he faced in the past year.
A police spokesman said the suspects were held in connection with extortion, usury, and profiteering.
Send to Kindle
Most Popular Stories
- Businesses, Investors Pressing for Green Policy
- E-scrap Recyclers Find Profits in Upgrades
- 'The Voice' Sounds Different This Season
- Congress Casts a Coy Vote on ISIS War
- At Groupon, Not a Good Deal of Workplace Diversity
- Lower Used-Car Prices Roil the Auto Industry
- Utah Hosts US Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Meeting
- Investors Fret Yahoo's Future, Stock Dips
- Liberty Power Helps USHCC Go Green
- Porn Lovers Get a New Search Engine