Investigators at University Erlangen-Nurnberg Describe Findings in Tissue Engineering [Fabrication of electrospun poly (3-hydroxybutyrate)/poly (epsilon-caprolactone)/silica hybrid fibermats with and without calcium addition]
Our news journalists obtained a quote from the research from University Erlangen-Nurnberg, "The results indicated that as the silica content increased to 50 wt%, the ultimate tensile strength and modulus were enhanced to 191% and 614%, respectively. In addition, the presence of silica decreased the elongation at break significantly. Calcium addition changed the morphology of the hybrid scaffolds from relatively dense fibermats to highly fluffy porous structures, which may be due to the ionization of Ca2+ in the polymer solution. Chemical interactions between the different components and the thermal properties were also based on FTIR, DSC and TGA measurements. The addition of inorganic components significantly decreased the crystallinity of PHB and PCL, which was also confirmed by XRD analysis."
According to the news editors, the research concluded: "Due to the intrinsic performance of the biopolymer and inorganic components, the scaffolds in the present study have great potential for tissue engineering applications."
For more information on this research see: Fabrication of electrospun poly (3-hydroxybutyrate)/poly (epsilon-caprolactone)/silica hybrid fibermats with and without calcium addition.
Our news journalists report that additional information may be obtained by contacting
Keywords for this news article include: Tissue Engineering, Biomedicine and Biomedical Engineering,
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2014, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- Neighbor Warns Chris Brown to Stay Off His Property
- Adrienne Bailon Disses Ex-Lover Rob Kardashian
- Hiring on the Rise at Small Businesses
- NSHMBA Names Lincoln as Automotive Partner
- Hispanic Arts Leaders Unite Across the Border
- Islamic State Fights for Control of Syrian Oil Wealth
- How to Fit Green Energy Into Your Portfolio
- Venezuelan Officials Banned From Traveling in U.S.
- Jerry Brown Favors More Shelters for Immigrant Kids
- Sanctions Will Hit Russia Hard if Not Lifted Quickly