Gold prices are settling higher amid expectations the Federal Reserve will keep interest rates at record lows.
Gold for August delivery rose
In minutes from its June meeting released Wednesday, Fed officials agreed that the central bank will stop buying bonds to support the economy in October but showed no inclination to increase the Fed's benchmark interest rate anytime soon.
Metal prices had settled for the trading day before the minutes were released, then climbed higher afterward. U.S. stocks and Treasury bond prices rose, pushing yields down.
Industrial metals ended mixed. Corn dropped
Most Popular Stories
- 'Lucy's' Super Powers Tops 'Hercules' at Box Office
- The Rise and Fall of Richard Alarcon
- U.N. Renews Demand for Gaza Cease-Fire
- Nissan Profits Rise on Growth in U.S., China
- 'Sharknado' Sequel Has Bite and Lots of Laughs
- Vancrest Assisted Living Project to Add 20 Jobs
- Pending Home Sales Slipped in June
- Shania Twain's Vegas residency ending after 110 shows
- Desktop, Laptop Setups Still King
- The 2014 Fastest-Growing 100