The Dow Jones industrial average fell 137 points, or 0.8 per cent, to 16,886 at midday Tuesday.
The Standard & Poor's 500 index lost 15 points, or 0.8 per cent, to 1,962. The Nasdaq fell 72 points, or 1.6 per cent, to 4,378.
The Dow and the S&P 500 set record highs last week.
Major U.S. companies start reporting their earnings this week, beginning with aluminum maker
Bond prices rose. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note fell to 2.57 per cent.
Most Popular Stories
- Swiss Suicide Tourism Doubled Since 2009
- Florida's Largest Insurer Says 'Bailout' Attacks Unfair
- Wealth Gap Widened in Past Decade: Census
- Gap Reports Higher Profits, India Plans
- Sears Holdings Loses $573 Million
- International Revulsion Grows Over James Foley Death
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- Beyonce, Jay-Z Cuba Trip Was Legal After All
- U.S. Veteran Killed Fighting in Ukraine
- Chinese Stock Funds Are a Late-summer Bloomer