The Dow Jones industrial average fell 137 points, or 0.8 per cent, to 16,886 at midday Tuesday.
The Standard & Poor's 500 index lost 15 points, or 0.8 per cent, to 1,962. The Nasdaq fell 72 points, or 1.6 per cent, to 4,378.
The Dow and the S&P 500 set record highs last week.
Major U.S. companies start reporting their earnings this week, beginning with aluminum maker
Bond prices rose. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note fell to 2.57 per cent.
Most Popular Stories
- Doctor Who Christmas Episode Begins Production
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas
- SpaceX Aims for Predawn Launch on Saturday
- Women Key to Democratic Party: Clinton
- U.S. Chamber Caught Up in Tax Inversion Question
- Feds Won't Say How Many Border Crossers Jailed
- Christie Didn't Order Bridge Shut Down, Feds Say