The Dow Jones industrial average fell 95 points, or 0.6 percent, to 16,928 in the first few minutes of trading Tuesday.
The Standard & Poor's 500 index lost 10 points, or 0.5 percent, to 1,967. The Nasdaq composite fell 35 points, or 0.8 percent, to 4,416.
The Dow and the S&P 500 set record highs last week.
Major U.S. companies start reporting their earnings this week, beginning with aluminum maker
Most Popular Stories
- GE Healthcare Bringing Jobs to Massachusetts
- Hispanic NASCAR Driver Ready to Make History
- Faith Groups Divest From Fossil Fuels
- James Foley Beheading Video Is Real Thing: White House
- James Foley Killer Could Be ID'd Via Social Media, Voice Recognition
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- Bank of America Agrees to Pay Record $16.65 Billion
- Entrepreneur Contest Announced in Idaho
- Stocks Moving Higher Again for 4th Day
- U.S. Existing Home Sales Rise 4th Month Straight