The downward momentum for the markets may partly reflect trepidation ahead of the start of earnings season, as
The consensus estimates call for
In the afternoon, trading could be impacted by speeches by a pair of Federal Reserve officials, with traders likely to analyze the remarks for indications regarding the outlook for monetary policy.
Richmond Fed President
The Fed is also scheduled to release a report on consumer credit in the month of May at
Among individual stocks, shares of
Semiconductor equipment maker
On the other hand, shares of
While trading activity was somewhat subdued following the long holiday weekend, stocks moved mostly lower during trading on Monday. The losses on the day partly offset the strong performance that was shown by the markets last week.
The major averages ended the day firmly in negative territory but off their lows for the session. The Dow fell 44.05 points or 0.3% to 17,024.21, the Nasdaq slid 34.40 points or 0.8% to 4,451.53 and the S&P 500 dropped 7.79 points or 0.4% to 1,977.65.
Most Popular Stories
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Hispanic Groups Lead Voter Registration Drive
- Eva Mendes Gives Birth to a Baby Girl
- Fed Signals It Will Keep Key Rate at Record Low
- Stocks Rise Before Fed Statement
- Occupy Wall Street Buys Up Student Debt
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays