The aluminum giant reported an adjusted quarterly profit of
Positive profit news from an industrial mainstay is a big comfort to U.S. investors in general, who have been hoping for a resumption of earnings growth in the second quarter. A big profit beat like that at the start of earnings season supports the optimism that there might be enough underlying earnings growth to justify the stock market's march to new highs this year.
It was an important quarter for
"Great quarter, guidance reaffirmed and overall business doing well," says
Analysts are calling for more than 6% earnings growth from companies in the Standard & Poor's 500 index in the second quarter, says S&P Capital IQ.
Most Popular Stories
- Steven Sotloff Beheading Video Claimed by Islamic State
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- Apple Planning to Launch Mobile Wallet
- Men Are the Big Winners in the Jobs Recovery
- Challenge to Texas Voter ID Begins
- Ford Is Finding Success With Its 'Unminivan'
- Durant Spurns Under Armour to Return to Nike
- Auto Industry Going Back to Bad Habits
- Health Care Hiring Up, Wages Down
- Netflix Unveils New Way to Share Picks