The aluminum giant reported an adjusted quarterly profit of
Positive profit news from an industrial mainstay is a big comfort to U.S. investors in general, who have been hoping for a resumption of earnings growth in the second quarter. A big profit beat like that at the start of earnings season supports the optimism that there might be enough underlying earnings growth to justify the stock market's march to new highs this year.
It was an important quarter for
"Great quarter, guidance reaffirmed and overall business doing well," says
Analysts are calling for more than 6% earnings growth from companies in the Standard & Poor's 500 index in the second quarter, says S&P Capital IQ.
Most Popular Stories
- Businesses, Investors Pressing for Green Policy
- 'The Voice' Sounds Different This Season
- NSHMBA to Rebrand With New Name, Logo
- Lower Used-Car Prices Roil the Auto Industry
- Chrysler and Google Launch Virtual Plant Tour
- Perry Wants to Skip Court for Foreign Trip
- Investors Fret Yahoo's Future, Stock Dips
- Iran Digs in on Underground Nuclear Site
- Existing Home Sales in U.S. Fell in August
- U.N. Endorses Rights of Indigenous Peoples