"Virtual currency does not have the same safeguards as hard currency," said Schuette. "I advise all
"Virtual" or "digital" currency, such as Bitcoin and Litecoin, is not issued or backed by
While not tangible currency, virtual currency is bought by transferring real money through an exchange or to an individual, and is stored on computers or held by the purchaser or a third party in a so-called virtual wallet. If the marketplace perceives that it has value, virtual currency can be transmitted and exchanged in lieu of hard currency for goods and services. It can also be exchanged for hard currency.
Consider the following before investing in virtual currency exchanges:
* Virtual Currency Can Be Lost or Stolen. Bitcoins are like cash - if they are lost or stolen, they are gone for good. If your virtual wallet is hacked, your bitcoin can be stolen. Unlike a bank account, virtual currency wallets are not insured against loss by a bank or government.
* The Value is Volatile. Given the nature of virtual currency, value fluctuations can happen quickly and without warning. This rapid fluctuation means it is a high risk investment for consumers.
* Tax Implications. The
* No Consumer Protections. At this time, virtual currency is not regulated by any government agency.
Because it is not hard currency, virtual currency should be treated like an investment. As with any investment decision, you should thoroughly research virtual currency before investing your hard-earned money.
The Attorney General's complete consumer alert is available online at: http://1.usa.gov/1qCvQlA.
Investors should also check with the
Additional information regarding virtual currency is available at the
Most Popular Stories
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Hispanic Groups Lead Voter Registration Drive
- Fed Signals It Will Keep Key Rate at Record Low
- Eva Mendes Gives Birth to a Baby Girl
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Stocks Rise Before Fed Statement
- Occupy Wall Street Buys Up Student Debt
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays