The country is among the top African nations according to Managing World Bank Economic Policies report, scoring aggregate 3.9 out of six.
Chuhan-Pole talked to The New Times'
According to the Country Policy and Institutional Assessment (CPIA) 2013 report,
The country has ably managed its GDP-debt ratio, and has good fiscal and monetary policies.
Remember, having a high CPI score does not mean that a country has a high growth rate, but
This means that
The country needs to avoid macro-economic imbalances; being able to manage both the fiscal side and current accounts should remain a priority.
It is important for a country to be able to manage its debt, make good business management polices and remove trade barriers and promote policies that enhance export trade.
What is more surprising is that, in
Fiscal policies have been quite expansionary across African economies, but
Most African economies have balance of payment problems, where do we go wrong?
Government expenditure across
In fact, revenues have increased from about 17 per cent in 2006 to 18 per cent in 2013, widening the fiscal deficit gap. This is an area economies like
Government debt to GDP has also been rising, but remains modest at about 34 per cent across the continent.
When you look at CPIA vis-À-vis growth and poverty levels across the region; what kind of picture do you get?
Normally, when we compare CPIA with growth rate, there is a fairly strong connection between the two. However, the link is very weak when it is compared with poverty reduction levels. So, it's important that growth leads to poverty reduction and is all inclusive; I believe this is what
Most Popular Stories
- McDonald's Packages Coffee for National Distribution
- Homebuilder Confidence at Highest Since January
- Parents Opt to Keep Baby Photos off Facebook
- HTC Makes Windows Version of Flagship One Phone
- Rising U.S. Consumer Prices Slowed Down in July
- Sprint Cancels Framily, Rolls Out New Data Pricing Plan
- 'Turtles' Easily Tops 'Expendables 3' at Weekend Box Office
- Home Depot Builds Nice Net Income in Q2
- Mike Brown Death Timeline
- St. Francis Names Rodriguez as New Dean