The Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom ride began operating July Fourth at Six Flags Great Adventure in
Riders are hoisted 415 feet in the air and dropped back to the ground at 90 mph. Adding to the thrill: The park's Kingda Ka roller coaster trains hurl toward riders on Zumanjaro at speeds of up to 128 mph.
The ride initially was scheduled to open
Park officials then planned to open the ride Wednesday. But that was postponed because state inspectors were still reviewing paperwork and had not granted an operating permit.
Meanwhile a thrill ride at another Six Flags park remains closed while an accident is investigated.
Most Popular Stories
- PBS Series Examines America's Demographic Shift
- Tim Cook Has Proved That Apple is His Baby
- Why the Bond Market Isn't as Safe as You Think
- Royals Beat A's in 12-inning Wild Card Thriller
- Lexus Luxury Compact Sedan Wins Buyers
- Construction Spending Down Again for August
- What to Look for in Mich. Jobs Market
- Obama Seeks Traction From Economic Recovery
- Texas Sees Gains in Hispanic College Enrollment
- Americans Bet Big on Gambling Industry