The Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom ride began operating July Fourth at Six Flags Great Adventure in
Riders are hoisted 415 feet in the air and dropped back to the ground at 90 mph. Adding to the thrill: The park's Kingda Ka roller coaster trains hurl toward riders on Zumanjaro at speeds of up to 128 mph.
The ride initially was scheduled to open
Park officials then planned to open the ride Wednesday. But that was postponed because state inspectors were still reviewing paperwork and had not granted an operating permit.
Meanwhile a thrill ride at another Six Flags park remains closed while an accident is investigated.
Most Popular Stories
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Eva Mendes Gives Birth to a Baby Girl
- Hispanic Groups Lead Voter Registration Drive
- Fed Signals It Will Keep Key Rate at Record Low
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Stocks Rise Before Fed Statement
- Occupy Wall Street Buys Up Student Debt
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays