The Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom ride began operating July Fourth at Six Flags Great Adventure in
Riders are hoisted 415 feet in the air and dropped back to the ground at 90 mph. Adding to the thrill: The park's Kingda Ka roller coaster trains hurl toward riders on Zumanjaro at speeds of up to 128 mph.
The ride initially was scheduled to open
Park officials then planned to open the ride Wednesday. But that was postponed because state inspectors were still reviewing paperwork and had not granted an operating permit.
Meanwhile a thrill ride at another Six Flags park remains closed while an accident is investigated.
Most Popular Stories
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Ricky Martin Joins 'The Voice ... Mexico'
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 Million to Settle SEC Charges
- Ukraine Says Russians Firing Across the Border
- Ford Q2 Net Profit up 6 Percent
- Jennifer Lopez, Pitbull to Perform at Fashion Rocks
- U.S. Weighs Refugee Status for Immigrant Kids