Stakeholders in the field of industrial biotechnology, including representatives of the medical and pharmaceutical industries, the agricultural realm and other industries have joined together to form a new
Planning for Committee E62 began after a series of meetings between ASTM and the
Through its subcommittees, E62 will develop test methods, practices and terminology standards focusing on many aspects of industrial biotechnology. Potential topics for E62 standards include, but are not limited to, feedstock biomass, determination of green content, life cycle analysis and drop-in chemical specifications.
Industrial biotechnology represents a move away from industry's reliance on non-renewable resources, turning instead to the use of sustainable biomass as a resource. Rather than using fossil fuels and minerals, industrial biotechnology uses biomass from crops and waste products. Municipal, farm and forestry waste products in addition to specialized crops are the inputs in the production of everything from plastics to fuel. Along with this shift in raw materials, biotechnology utilizes biological processes rather than solely chemical ones in the manufacturing and energy sectors. By relying on sustainable resources, industrial biotechnology reduces greenhouse gas emissions and lessens the negative impact of manufacturing on the environment.
The benefits of industrial biotechnology include more efficient, less environmentally harmful products. Three specific areas are currently the central focus of industrial biotechnology efforts:
* Medical and pharmaceutical applications;
* Industrial uses; and
* Agricultural applications. Representatives of various disciplines, including consumers, manufacturers, suppliers, software developers, trade and professional society and federal agencies participated in the April organizational meeting.
In addition, because biotechnology has spread into so many different realms, E62 will coordinate its activities with several ASTM committees, including: D02 on Petroleum Products,
[Category: Materials Management]
TNS 24HariCha-140709-30FurigayJane-4790923 30FurigayJane
Most Popular Stories
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Ukraine Says Russians Firing Across the Border
- Jennifer Lopez, Pitbull to Perform at Fashion Rocks
- Ricky Martin Joins 'The Voice ... Mexico'
- Ford Q2 Net Profit up 6 Percent
- U.S. Weighs Refugee Status for Immigrant Kids
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 Million to Settle SEC Charges