The Rivers State House of Assembly has approved the request of the state Governor, Hon.
While approving the request for the loan in its sitting yesterday, the assembly also ordered the state Commissioner for Water Resources to appear before it in its next sitting to give details of the loan.
According to the assembly, Amaechi had on
The letter read in part: "It may interest you to note that the Rivers State government has successfully obtained approval from the Boards of the
"The project which is being under taken by the
In their contributions, the lawmakers said the loan was a welcome development considering the wide criticisms the governor had received for lack of potable drinking water in the state. They, however, insisted that the state Commissioner for Water Resources should be invited to the floor of the House to give a detailed breakdown and scope of the financial implications of the loan.
The member representing Etche Constituency II,
In his contribution,
Dan-Amachree thanked the lawmakers for their contributions and approval of the loan. He directed the Clerk to inform the commissioner to appear before the assembly in its next sitting.
The loan, THISDAY gathered, has tenure of 22 years with an initial three percent interest. The first eight years would be interest-free.
In its reaction, the state chapter of the PDP noted that Amaechi had a penchant for collecting external loans and said it was a plot to mortgage the state and enslave the Rivers people forever.
In a statement issued by the Special Adviser to the state PDP chairman, Mr.
"The party also wants to know what has happened to the
While calling on the
The PDP also alleged that the loan would be used to fund activities of the
Most Popular Stories
- Congress Passes Law Promoting Transparency Reconstruction of Haiti
- Desktop, Laptop Setups Still King
- Four DC Comics Properties Brought to TV Get Comic-Con Event
- UFC Fight Night Sees Robbie Lawler Win Unanimous Decision
- Plan to Simplify 2015 Health Renewals May Backfire
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy ' Sequel Slated for 2017
- Execs Help Entrepreneurs, Get Chevy Volts
- Shania Twain's Vegas residency ending after 110 shows
- Google Confirms $1B Acquisition of Twitch.tv
- Demand for Fair Trade Brings Big Opportunity, Clear Conscience