An attempt by a hedge fund tycoon to impose a "blanket" ban on reporting the
In a test case that significantly expands the media's ability to report on matrimonial hearings, Mrs
Her lawyers argue that she is entitled to half the property, shares and businesses held by her husband. The couple have four children, including triplets. They were married for 17 years before she petitioned for divorce in
The dispute extends to the true value of their personal wealth, which, the court has heard, is worth at least
Hohn, the son of a Jamaican car mechanic, attended
The charity established by Hohn and his wife, the
Following an appeal court hearing last month, which dismissed expert evidence on the value of hedge fund management companies, lawyers for the couple began presenting their cases in the family division of the high court last week. Much of that detail has only just been made reportable.
The couple have said they live relatively modest lives, given their wealth.
She denies enjoying a jet-set lifestyle; he has described it as being more of a "Swatch" than Rolex lifestyle.
The Hohns, who met at
The court has heard that the couple's private assets are comprised of investments in TCI of
Up until now journalists have been allowed to sit in private divorce hearings but were unable to report most of what they witnessed. If today's judgment sets a precedent – it could still face appeal – it will mean that all hearings will be reportable save any restrictions a judge imposes case-by-case.
The largest payout to date is the estimated £100m-£200m believed to have been made to Galina Besharova by
The case continues.
Most Popular Stories
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast
- Xavier Gutierrez Appointed to Bank Board
- Long-term Strengths Emerge in U.S. Economy
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Honda' s Accord Plug-in Hybrid Is a Fuel Miser
- Weekly Jobless Claims Drop to Lowest Level in 8 Years
- Naya Rivera and Ryan Dorsey Are Married
- Menendez: No Arms for Iraq Without Intel
- Self-Induced Abortions Rise After Texas Closes Clinics
- Amazon Fire Phone Improves on Familiar: Review