TANZANIANS have been urged to build and strengthen a culture of saving through banks and other financial institutions for their own benefits and the country's economic development.
Talking to journalists in Dar es Salaam, the
The DIB Manager, Finance and Administration, Mr
"Banks are considered to be engines of the economy through their main role of performing financial intermediation through which they supply capital to various businesses in the economy.
"We call upon people to put their money in banks since the practice benefits both individuals and the country at large," he said.
He said the public should be confident because their money is safe in banks and that DIB was established for the purpose of protecting their deposits, in the event a licensed bank or financial institution goes under.
The DIB Operations Manager, Ms
The objectives of the board include providing insurance against loss of part or all deposits in a member institution and to contribute to the stability of the financial system in
Ms Tenga said that the board also conducts liquidation of failed banks or financial institutions once appointed by the BoT.
"Proceeds of liquidation are paid to creditors and therefore if there is a good collection, depositors, who are part of bank creditors, receive more in case they had balances in the bank that is above the maximum deposit insurance coverage level," she said.
She called upon students to start creating the culture of saving and particularly with licensed banks and financial institutions for safety and other associated benefits.
Most Popular Stories
- GE Healthcare Bringing Jobs to Massachusetts
- James Foley Killer Could Be ID'd Via Social Media, Voice Recognition
- Faith Groups Divest From Fossil Fuels
- Hispanic NASCAR Driver Ready to Make History
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- James Foley Beheading Video Is Real Thing: White House
- U.S. Existing Home Sales Rise 4th Month Straight
- Entrepreneur Contest Announced in Idaho
- Bank of America Agrees to Pay Record $16.65 Billion
- Spiders Get Bigger, Reproduce Faster in Cities