A newly opened film and television studio complex in southern
The British film and television producer
Touted as the biggest film and television studio in
People involved in the business say there is a big demand for film and television content in
International film and television producers are attracted to the comparatively lower business costs in the region. They are also keen to develop projects with an Asian view.
One of the main factors cited by foreign film producers in choosing Iskandar is the financial incentives offered by the
Since last year,
In addition, there is an existing 10-year zero corporate tax offered to any company that sets up operation in Iskandar in certain industries, including the creative industry.
Khazanah has forged a "strategic alliance" with Pinewood to set up the studio in Iskandar, and a 51 percent stake in
Pinewood has clinched a deal with the U.S. studio
The series is expected to be broadcast in the fourth quarter of this year.
Indian producers, for example, are said to be moving away from traditional "Bollywood" films and are seeking a new look for their films and for Western markets, Lake said.
Japanese producers are also looking for places with lower costs as well as an opportunity to produce regional television programs to reach out to the population of
"If you want to expand your market the only thing you can do is to go outside," he said, adding the company had considered locations such as
"We are targeting both international markets and local markets," he said. "But not many people speak English in
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- Koch Brothers Took Genes, Money in Different Directions
- Rocket Explodes During U.S. Test Flight
- Short-Term Loans Comes at a Heavy Price
- Is Diversity in the Eye of the Beholder?
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- 'Mythbusters' Build Team Gets the Boot
- Jennifer Lopez Would Marry Again
- Florida Judge Rules in Favor of GOP Voter Map
- Investors Betting on ECB Stimulus Measures