Brazilian Government said it invested
The government also invested another
This is contained in a statement released by the government officials in
It said the tournament had been dubbed the "Social Media World Cup" or the "World Cup of Selfies."
It added that data volume equivalent to 38.5 million photos had already been sent from
It said that the
It said that the number was based on an average sized 0.55 MB photo and includes data sent via both mobile networks and Wi-Fi hotspots installed in the stadiums by various Internet service providers.
"As for voice services, 3.3 million phone calls have been made since the beginning the tournament.
"In addition to ensuring 2G, 3G and 4G mobile data availability in the host cities, the investments have ensured high levels of bandwidth available for broadcasting services.
"Telebras (the Brazilian telecom infrastructure company) and
"This had expanded the country's fiber optic network; the latter based on commitments made with the Federal Government during wireless spectrum auctions for telecom services," it said.
The statement added that another
It said that telebras installed a 15,280 kilometer-long optic fiber ring, using state-of-the-art equipment developed in
Telebras broadcasted the 48 group phase matches of the World Cup without any issues related to the fiber optic network.
"This infrastructure will remain as a legacy after the World Cup, boosting the supply of high-speed Internet service throughout
Most Popular Stories
- Businesses, Investors Pressing for Green Policy
- 'The Voice' Sounds Different This Season
- NSHMBA to Rebrand With New Name, Logo
- Lower Used-Car Prices Roil the Auto Industry
- Chrysler and Google Launch Virtual Plant Tour
- Investors Fret Yahoo's Future, Stock Dips
- Perry Wants to Skip Court for Foreign Trip
- Liberty Power Helps USHCC Go Green
- Hispanic Designer Honored As Rising Star
- Porn Lovers Get a New Search Engine