Morcos, a young
The award started 60 years ago, awarding two then-obscure European designers
Morcos' Bird on a Wire was awarded the prize alongside fellow Woolmark finalists Emperor 1688, a
"The prospect of going to
Morcos founded her own fashion label Bird on a Wire in 2009 and released her first women's wear collection Heterotropies in 2012, featuring a moldable metal technology. Before that Morcos graduated from Esmod Beirut and worked in
Morcos is also among a growing cohort of young Lebanese designers creating conceptual ready-to-wear clothing in a market where local, avant-garde creations are a difficult sell. Despite this, Morcos has had some local success finding local retailers like IF boutique.
This year's judging panel for the
Vogue Editor Khanna said the prize was awarded for Marcos' commitment to her concept and her unique ideology of deconstructed fashion, according to Woolmark's post-ceremony news statement.
During the regional round, Morcos was up against fellow Lebanese women's wear designer
Most Popular Stories
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Xavier Gutierrez Appointed to Bank Board
- Ted Cruz: Why Did FAA Ban Flights to Israel?
- Honda' s Accord Plug-in Hybrid Is a Fuel Miser
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 Million to Settle SEC Charges
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Long-term Strengths Emerge in U.S. Economy
- Risks of Layoffs Becoming Rarer in U.S.
- Weekly Jobless Claims Drop to Lowest Level in 8 Years