Morcos, a young
The award started 60 years ago, awarding two then-obscure European designers
Morcos' Bird on a Wire was awarded the prize alongside fellow Woolmark finalists Emperor 1688, a
"The prospect of going to
Morcos founded her own fashion label Bird on a Wire in 2009 and released her first women's wear collection Heterotropies in 2012, featuring a moldable metal technology. Before that Morcos graduated from Esmod Beirut and worked in
Morcos is also among a growing cohort of young Lebanese designers creating conceptual ready-to-wear clothing in a market where local, avant-garde creations are a difficult sell. Despite this, Morcos has had some local success finding local retailers like IF boutique.
This year's judging panel for the
Vogue Editor Khanna said the prize was awarded for Marcos' commitment to her concept and her unique ideology of deconstructed fashion, according to Woolmark's post-ceremony news statement.
During the regional round, Morcos was up against fellow Lebanese women's wear designer
Most Popular Stories
- Study: Recessions Can Postpone Motherhood Forever
- Tim Cook Has Proved That Apple is His Baby
- Hispanic Entrepreneurs Short-changed in Texas
- China Approves iPhone 6 After Security Assurances
- Meet the YouTube Tech Review Sensation
- U.S. Home Prices Rose at Slowest Pace in 20 Months
- Who Is Daniel Ivascyn?
- Hispanics Carry Big Clout: Census
- Netflix Eyes Hollywood With Feature Film
- Washington's 'The Equalizer' Debuts With $35 Million