A Research and Development (R&D) team at King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST) has discovered a new class of industrial polymers which could deliver cheaper, lighter, stronger and recyclable materials ideal for electronics, aerospace, airline and automotive industries.
"Four researchers at the
"These newly discovered polymers combine resistance to cracking with a strength which is higher than bone; an ability to bounce back to their original shape and material (self-heal); are 100 percent recyclable in addition to their being light-weight and highly resistant to solvents which overcome the limitations of the current polymers," sources said. These distinguished scientific achievements come within KACST's keen interest in research in petrochemical industries in addition to its collaboration with IBM Global through the Center of Excellence for Nanotechnology, which was established in 2008 and accommodates more than thirty Saudi researchers with a similar number of
The research works of the center focus on applications of this technology in fields of petrochemicals and water desalination.
According to the media center, this research collaboration has resulted in a list of patents that are either awarded or registered under the procedure and KACST will work in the near future to focus research on the conversion of these polymers into viable products for industrial investment by the
A KACST official said that the discovery was published in the peer-reviewed US journal, 'Science' last month.
Most Popular Stories
- Desktop, Laptop Setups Still King
- 'Lucy's' Super Powers Tops 'Hercules' at Box Office
- Four DC Comics Properties Brought to TV Get Comic-Con Event
- Nissan Profits Rise on Growth in U.S., China
- Shania Twain's Vegas residency ending after 110 shows
- 'Sharknado' Sequel Has Bite and Lots of Laughs
- Plan to Simplify 2015 Health Renewals May Backfire
- UFC Fight Night Sees Robbie Lawler Win Unanimous Decision
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy ' Sequel Slated for 2017
- Pending Home Sales Slipped in June