Green MEPs have accused
According to the MEPs, a backroom deal will allow banks to calculate their contribution to the European rescue fund based on their balance sheet rather than on a scheme that gauges the level of risk banks take.
The effect will be to force large building societies and mutuals to make contributions under the new
"But in a sleight of hand this clear intention of lawmakers is about to be disregarded in the fine print," she said.
It is possible the new arrangements will force building societies and credit unions to pay into the rescue fund despite maintaining a low-risk profile.
Most Popular Stories
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- U.K. Economy Surpasses Pre-Crisis Peak
- Visa, Amazon Results Drag Down the Street
- World Tensions Don't Curb Enthusiasm for Stocks
- Pandora Tumbles in Late Trading
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 Million to Settle SEC Charges
- Ricky Martin Joins 'The Voice ... Mexico'