The call to ground the
It was the latest in a series of technical problems and delays that have plagued the
Last year, the fighter jet was grounded after a crack in an engine component was discovered during a routine inspection.
It is said to be the costliest weapons programme in US military history.
In a statement,
"Additional inspections of F-35 engines have been ordered, and return to flight will be determined based on inspection results and analysis of the engineering data," according to the
The spokesman said that the "preparations continue for F-35 participation in international air shows in the
A statement on the F-35.com website says the fighter jet "can operate in virtually any battle situations, from paved runways to aircraft carriers to roads and austere bases".
The website says no other fighter has "the versatility and combined capabilities of the multi-role F-35".
With 8.4m lines of software, F-35 is by far the most complex fighter ever built.
"The F-35's built-in sustainment establishes new levels of operational readiness. Aircraft share common parts, support equipment and technical data, yielding greater reliability and long-term cost savings,"
"And the F-35's strong global partnership and broad industrial base ensures affordability through economies of scale while delivering thousands of technology sector jobs around the world," the company adds about "the world's only international 5th Generation multirole fighter".
Most Popular Stories
- U.S. Families 'Extraordinarily Vulnerable': Yellen
- Hillary Clinton to Address CHCI Conference
- Larry Ellison Steps Down as Oracle CEO
- Alibaba Prices IPO at $68 a Share
- Apple Locks Itself Out of Devices
- Veterans to Get Training as Solar Panel Installers
- Hispanics Doubt Marco Rubio's Chances
- Wildfires Rage in California
- John Cantlie Delivers ISIS Message to Save Life
- Alibaba: Today China, Tomorrow the World