What a fine profile of
* Not forgetting the redoubtable
* Never mind those Trident discussions. I am really tempted to splash out on a new vehicle after seeing the full-page ads in Friday's Guardian (4 July). Not the Fiat 500 or the Volvo V40, but that fab-looking Lockheed F-35 fighter jet. Where can I get a test drive? And what are the carbon dioxide emissions so I can calculate the benefit in kind for my tax return?
* Never mind when they were worn or by whom (Letters, 4 July), may we dispense with the "anklet" which sounds like a piece of personal jewellery. The correct term is "gaiter", as in "boots and gaiters", familiar to all former national servicemen.
* The piece by
W Stephen Gilbert
* A proposal. Let's stop calling any person a "national treasure" until, say, 10 years after his or her death. In the meantime, let's call them "notional treasures".
Most Popular Stories
- Prosecutor to Investigate Walmart Police Shooting
- GM to Announce New Jobs in Tennessee
- Michael Brown Funeral: Can Americans Change the Script of Violence?
- Emirates Hit Libyan Targets With Airstrikes
- Smith & Wesson Misses Target
- American Killed With ISIS Fighters in Syria
- Marco Rubio Warns Obama on Deportations
- Ford Hires 300 at Louisville Lincoln Plant
- Surf's Up! SoCal Prepares for Big Storm Surf
- Hamas Claims Gaza Ceasefire as Victory Over Israel