The government of
The new agreement reflects the recent approval of
The new financing from IDA* (a
The project is based on recommendations from the Government's Power Sector Diagnostic and Recovery Plan and will be critical for the success of the broader sector investment plan of over
"Reliable electricity is a key factor for productivity and competitiveness and is critical to attract investments, expand and diversify production, and create jobs," says
"This project will help
The project will focus on improving the technical and commercial performance of the national utility EDG and also fund the rehabilitation and upgrade of the national distribution system to improve electricity reliability and reduce power losses.
Combined with investments in power generation, transmission and distribution infrastructure to be funded by other donors, the project is expected to lead to major improvements in the quantity and quality of electricity for the benefit of end-users in the medium term.
"Lack of investment and maintenance of power infrastructure in
"Today's project, in combination with investments that are supported by other donors, aims to address those issues, thus leading to increased and more reliable power supply, which in turn will facilitate economic growth and job creation".
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Cantwell Targets Gender Gap in Small-Business Loans
- Parra Joins Exclusive Club of Hispanic CEOs
- Apple to Unveil New Items on Sept. 9
- Axxis Solutions Appoints Benites as CEO
- Josh Gordon Loses Appeal, Out for Season
- Pending Home Sales in U.S. Rise in Hopeful Sign
- Visual Search Sounds Cool, Remains Elusive
- Texans Look for Perry-Cruz Showdown in 2016
- Chrysler Gets Nod as a Top Employer for Hispanic Women