Many governments spend time and resources deciding what to deliver, without tackling how. Improving the how of delivery is a challenge that could have a dramatic impact on eliminating poverty. This is a key priority for the
Across the region, billions of US dollars of public money are spent each year on contracting private companies to provide the public with goods and services. Governments and public agencies in the region spend up to 70% of their budgets on public procurement, ranging from major projects like highways and airports, to purchasing a wide variety goods and services everything from furniture to food and textbooks.
This type of spending represents 15% to 30% of Gross Domestic Product in MENA economies. How these investments are delivered to the public has a huge effect on how well a government meets promises to its citizens.
Many governments have begun reforming the laws and regulations governing their procurement systems in recent years, intent upon ensuring efficient and effective public spending. In reality though, even the best legal and regulatory framework can under-deliver without a trained workforce to put laws and regulations into practice.
To increase returns on public investment, MENA governments have agreed on the need to develop and equip the public sector employees responsible for public procurement. It is in this context that the Network a group composed of the heads of public procurement in countries in the MENA region launched an ambitious, new, multi-regional approach at a recent meeting hosted by the
Bringing together training institutions, government, and international organizations to effectively share knowledge and resources is crucial, said
Two sources of funding have been secured to support the initiative. The first is a
Most Popular Stories
- McDonald's Packages Coffee for National Distribution
- Castro-Blanco Joins Fifth Street Finance Board
- Ballmer Steps Down From Microsoft Board
- HTC Makes Windows Version of Flagship One Phone
- Uber Hires Obama Campaign Manager David Plouffe
- Eric Holder Bringing Civil Rights Reminders to Ferguson
- Rising Freight Prices Signal Global Recovery
- Bob Marley Musical to Make Premiere in Baltimore
- Russia Claims Ukraine Leaders Are Satanists, Jews or Maybe Even Scientologists
- Sprint Cancels Framily, Rolls Out New Data Pricing Plan