Today, the Deputy Prime Minister is launching a call to arms for civic leaders, businesses, opinion makers and the general public across the North to come forward with ideas on how to create a vibrant Northern hub so it can compete with the biggest cities around the world.
The Northern Futures project is a new approach to policymaking which means that rather than decisions being made by politicians and civil servants in Whitehall, the power is given to the people who live and work there.
In a speech in
The call for ideas is open to people from all walks of life - businesses, civic leaders, experts in housing, transport and science, academics, students. The following people are already on board:
The Deputy Prime Minister said: The fact is that in a global economy our northern cities aren t just competing with other locations in the south, east or west of
We ve got to be realistic that the best ideas aren t going to come from Whitehall. Nobody knows more about what local economies need than the people who actually live and work day in and day out in the communities themselves.
So, today, I m launching the next phase in our drive to generate the best ideas for stronger local growth with our new
It s time for us to put aside outdated local rivalries. As we ve seen with the Local Enterprise Partnerships in
Anyone who has a good idea for what government should be doing to support growth in the north, particularly on developing an economic hub, can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Deputy Prime Minister will host an Economic Summit in the autumn to debate the ideas that have been submitted. Details of this will be announced in due course.
Most Popular Stories
- Prosecutor to Investigate Walmart Police Shooting
- GM to Announce New Jobs in Tennessee
- Emirates Hit Libyan Targets With Airstrikes
- Michael Brown Funeral: Can Americans Change the Script of Violence?
- Smith & Wesson Misses Target
- American Killed With ISIS Fighters in Syria
- Marco Rubio Warns Obama on Deportations
- Hamas Claims Gaza Ceasefire as Victory Over Israel
- Surf's Up! SoCal Prepares for Big Storm Surf
- Ford Hires 300 at Louisville Lincoln Plant