Expectations the government is prepared to tackle any crisis related to poor rains and strong global cues after better-than-expected US data and easing oil prices also boosted sentiment, traders said.
Gains in shares of Sensex heavyweights RIL,
The BSE 30-share barometer after resuming higher, slipped into negative terrain on profit-booking in heavy-weight stocks to touch the session's low of 25,659.33.
However, a flurry of buying helped in bounce back to close at yet another new high of 25,962.06, a rise of 138.31 points, or 0.54 per cent. It surpassed previous closing peak of 25,841.2 on
On Thursday, it had fallen by 17.46 points. For the week, Sensex gained 862.14 points — the first rise in four.
Blaming hoarders for recent spurt in food prices, Finance Minister
Nifty climbs 36 points
The NSE's 50-issue Nifty yesterday climbed 36.80 points, or 0.48 per cent, to close at a new record high of 7,751.60, breaching previous peak closing of 7,725.15 reached on
Oil and gas sector stocks, led by RIL and
Brokers said the sentiment remained upbeat on continued foreign fund inflows ahead of the first Budget of the
With the indices hitting record highs, smallcap and midcap stocks were also seen back in demand.
Most Popular Stories
- Florida Warns Beach-goers About Flesh-eating Bacteria
- Sutherland Responds to 'Unprofessional' Jibe
- LivePro Is a Mobile Hot Spot, Projector in One
- Islamic State Fights for Control of Syrian Oil Wealth
- Adrienne Bailon Disses Ex-Lover Rob Kardashian
- How to Fit Green Energy Into Your Portfolio
- U.S. Economy Grows at Fastest Pace in 10 Years
- Business Leaders Set for CHCC Convention
- Sanctions Will Hit Russia Hard if Not Lifted Quickly
- Is California Going to Land Tesla's Battery Plant?