The government has procured 200,000 metric tonnes of maize from
Agriculture, Fisheries and Livestock Cabinet Secretary
Koskei says the maize will be delivered in mid August with the remaining amount negotiated over time depending on the availability of maize in
"The main objective of this initiative is to enhance supplies of maize in the Kenyan market with the sole purpose of moderating the prices of maize flour which is a key for staple food for many Kenyans," he said.
The procurement will be through the private sector in
"The National Cereals and Produce Board (NCPB) will offer storage facilities to the traders who may not have adequate storage facilities," he said.
The national maize stocks as at
He refuted of any shortage of food in the country pointing out that that the national food security situation in
This comes as
Agriculture and forestry grew by 2.7 percent in the first quarter of 2014 compared to a growth of 6.8 percent over a similar period in 2013.
According to latest data from the
A 2kg packet of wheat flour went up by 2 percent to Sh144.06 from Sh119.83 in May while a kilo of tomatoes went down by 8.9 percent to Sh93.80 from Sh103 in the month of May.
Most Popular Stories
- Study: Recessions Can Postpone Motherhood Forever
- Tim Cook Has Proved That Apple is His Baby
- Hispanic Entrepreneurs Short-changed in Texas
- China Approves iPhone 6 After Security Assurances
- U.S. Home Prices Rose at Slowest Pace in 20 Months
- Meet the YouTube Tech Review Sensation
- Who Is Daniel Ivascyn?
- PBS Series Examines America's Demographic Shift
- Hispanics Carry Big Clout: Census
- Netflix Eyes Hollywood With Feature Film