The U.S. dollar stayed firm near the
The euro was quoted at
The dollar stayed near the level it climbed to overnight in
"It's being seen as evidence of the U.S. economy having rebounded in the April-June quarter," said
Data last week had disappointed dollar bulls by showing the U.S. economy shrank at an annualized rate of 2.9 percent in the first quarter of 2014.
The U.S. currency came under slight selling pressure in the afternoon as traders locked in gains.
With the U.S. labor market appearing to strengthen, the market will next be looking to June inflation data due later in the month to judge whether prices are in line with the U.S. Federal Reserve's expectations.
"The market is still on the fence whether recent high numbers are just 'noise' as Fed chief (
The euro on Friday stayed at lows reached overnight against the dollar and extended losses against the yen after the
The European shared currency came under further downward pressure in
U.S. financial markets will be closed Friday for the
Most Popular Stories
- New Hershey's Logo Revealed
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Obama's Delay on Immigration Creates Uncertainty
- Startups Offer Smartphone Banking Apps
- Mexico's Pemex Forecasts 6.7% Drop in 2014 Crude Production
- Echeveste Steps Down, Perez Steps Up at VPE
- Clippers Deal Started With 2 Numbers
- 'Longmire' Cancelled, Looks for New Network
- Illinois Issues Fracking Rules
- Hip-Hop Takes Up Ferguson Cause