Unlike most independent labs conducting comparative tests of security solutions, MRG Effitas assesses the reliability and efficiency of each solution separately. In the second quarter of 2014, the study was conducted in three phases. The solutions were first tested on how well they cope with malware designed to steal financial data. A total of 322 samples were used, and all were successfully identified and blocked by Kaspersky Internet Security.
The second phase of the study presented a unique challenge involving malware samples from three of the most dangerous botnets ZeuS, Citadel and SpyEye. The test systems were infected using existing droppers for botnets whose command servers were located in an isolated environment. In order to successfully pass the test, the solution had to prevent leakage of logins and passwords when an attempt was made to pay via PayPal, and Kaspersky Internet Security successfully coped with the task.
The last phase of the study aimed to simulate a Man-in-the-Middle attack, during which the "attackers" hacked an SSL session between the client and financial websites. This type of attack allows criminals to gain access to confidential data such as passwords and credit card numbers. Once again, the
Only four of the 18 participating solutions managed to pass all three stages and received certification. Of those four, the testers noted that only Kaspersky Internet Security protects financial transactions conducted via standard browsers; the other three solutions need to run a special browser, causing a certain amount of inconvenience for the user.
Most Popular Stories
- Alabama House Speaker Arrested on Felony Ethics Charges
- Microsoft's Cloud Platform Shines
- 'Fury' Blows 'Gone Girl' Out of the Box Office
- Turkey to Help Kurds Reach Fight in Kobani
- ISIS Seeks to Expand Terror War
- German Intelligence Blames Ukraine Rebels for MH17
- Perez Leads Push for Obama's Job Proposals
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- Prius Drivers Battle Stereotypes
- New Effort to Ban Child Labor From Tobacco Farms