Traders await US jobs data, due later in the day, for further clues about the health of the US economy.
Regional shares also fell, with benchmark S&P BSE Sensex trading at 25,744, down 151.40 points or 0.58%, while broader CNX Nifty index falling by 41.25 points or 0.53%, to 7,680.
In economic news,
The rupee neared the key 61.00 level, reaching more than a 3-month low of 60.96 against the greenback. At yesterday's close, the pair was quoted at 60.94. The next possible downside target for the rupee is seen around the 62.00 mark.
Most Popular Stories
- Businesses, Investors Pressing for Green Policy
- E-scrap Recyclers Find Profits in Upgrades
- 'The Voice' Sounds Different This Season
- At Groupon, Not a Good Deal of Workplace Diversity
- Congress Casts a Coy Vote on ISIS War
- Lower Used-Car Prices Roil the Auto Industry
- Porn Lovers Get a New Search Engine
- Utah Hosts US Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Meeting
- Liberty Power Helps USHCC Go Green
- Investors Fret Yahoo's Future, Stock Dips