The ruling on
The ministry said it could appeal the decision within three months.
The court ruling came after the former oil giant argued
The court also ordered
The ruling said
The award is the largest ever from the
Earlier this month, an international arbitration court in
Yukos, once valued at around
The Kremlin critic was released from prison last year.
Most of Yukos's assets were handed to Rosneft, an energy company run by an ally of Russian President
The compensation was being sought on behalf of all Yukos shareholders.
There are around 55,000 named Yukos shareholders, some of which are funds representing a number of shareholders.
They were seeking damages of some
Khodorkovsky spokeswoman Olga Pispanen welcomed the ruling, saying, "We received the news with great joy."
Leonid Nevzlin, a former Yukos executive and top shareholder, told Echo Moskvy radio the court ruling was "another confirmation of the fact that everything that
Based on reporting by Reuters, ITAR-TASS, dpa, AFP, and AP
Copyright (c) 2011. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty,
Most Popular Stories
- Rackspace Ends Talks About Possible Acquisition
- Mercedes Rolls Out S550 Plug-in Hybrid
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Missouri GM Plant Adding 750 jobs
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Family Dollar Spurning Bid From Dollar General
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays
- Poverty Rate Drops for First Time Since 2006