In COPDGene phase 1, a multicenter, 10,000-patient study to identify genetic, epidemiological and radiological characteristics of COPD, ndd Medical's market-leading spirometry equipment, EasyOne(®) Plus, was used for all spirometry testing. COPDGene phase 2 added the key test, DLCO, to measure aspects of the lung membrane and the ability of the lungs to oxygenate the blood.
"Spirometry, which has classically been used to measure, diagnose and manage COPD, may not be as accurate as previously thought," says
According to Jensen, investigators raised additional funds to purchase the EasyOne Pro at all 21 study centers. The decision was made in part because of the "extraordinary stability" of its ultrasound measurement of volumes and flows, but also for its imperviousness to temperature, barometric pressure, altitude and other factors that can result in faulty measurements of DLCO and spirometry.
Among the goals of the COPDGene study, initially funded with a
COPD is the umbrella term for a variety of progressive lung diseases-- most commonly emphysema and chronic bronchitis-- marked by damaged lung tissue, making it difficult to breathe.
Keywords for this news article include: Genetics, Technology, ndd
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2014, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- Study: Recessions Can Postpone Motherhood Forever
- Hispanic Entrepreneurs Short-changed in Texas
- Effort to Oust Assad Put on Hold
- Washington's 'The Equalizer' Debuts With $35 Million
- White House Intruder Got Farther Than Reported
- Los Angeles Set to Host Small Business Summit
- Hispanics Carry Big Clout: Census
- Qantas Puts World's Largest Plane on Longest Route
- Chicago Flight Delays: Questions Answered
- Jeb Bush: GOP Senate Would 'Fix a Few Things'