“We are disappointed the court did not grant a preliminary injunction to stop the
“To fund ongoing decommissioning and clean-up work, the Department is selling uranium from the federal inventory. While we are not opposed to these projects, the Department is now selling more uranium than the entire domestic industry produces in a year. This hurts our industry and violates the law.
“The USEC Privatization Act mandates DOE ensure uranium transfers will not have an adverse material impact on the domestic uranium mining, conversion, or enrichment industry. DOE’s own market analysis concludes these transfers will result in an 8 percent drop in the uranium spot price, a 12 percent cut in the conversion market price, and additional job losses.
“The domestic uranium industry is struggling to survive. Uranium prices are at a level not seen since 2005. We have lost half our workforce, and our production costs far exceed the current spot market price. The Department’s transfers will further depress the market and inhibit our ability to provide a domestic and secure source of fuel for U.S. reactors, which power one in five homes and businesses.
“As uranium prices have fallen, the Department is selling more uranium and raising less money, putting more than 700 jobs at risk at the
“The real issue is the Administration’s failure to request full funding for these projects in the appropriations process. Despite what the Department might claim, this is not a choice between protecting the uranium industry and saving jobs in
Uranium Producers of America
Source: Uranium Producers of America
Most Popular Stories
- Alabama House Speaker Arrested on Felony Ethics Charges
- 'Fury' Blows 'Gone Girl' Out of the Box Office
- Microsoft's Cloud Platform Shines
- Turkey to Help Kurds Reach Fight in Kobani
- German Intelligence Blames Ukraine Rebels for MH17
- ISIS Seeks to Expand Terror War
- Perez Leads Push for Obama's Job Proposals
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- Prius Drivers Battle Stereotypes
- Clinton Rallies Early Vote for Landrieu