ENP Newswire -
Release date- 30072014 - A memorandum of understanding establishing a knowledge hub on green development and eco-compensation was today signed by the
'The knowledge hub will enable policymakers, researchers, and those working on green development, payments for ecosystem services, and eco-compensation to share best practices and disseminate them to development partners and other countries in developing
It is widely recognized in the PRC that the country's rapid economic growth has given rise to serious adverse environmental impacts. PRC leadership has thus made environmental protection and green development a top national policy priority, and the 18th
'Eco-compensation' is an important concept in the PRC, encompassing a growing range of government programs and policies to improve environmental protection and management. It shares some similarities to 'Payments for Ecosystem Services (PES)', a class of environmental policy tools of growing popularity internationally.
Through numerous eco-compensation pilot programs and policies, the PRC government is striving to better incorporate the true social costs and benefits of environmental management and ecosystem service provision in the country's economic system. This will help to improve the social inclusiveness, FINANCIAL support, and overall environmental sustainability of natural resource management and conservation.
The current drive toward developing eco-compensation mechanisms started in 1999, when the government began the Conversion of Cropland to Forest and Grassland Program. This has spent more than
Among the activities planned for the new hub are a bilingual website, database, a series of progress reports, and an annual conference on green development and eco-compensation.
The hub's initial 3-year budget is
Most Popular Stories
- Steve Ballmer Files Six-Figure Counterclaim vs. Steve Gordon
- Creepers! Microsoft Buys 'Minecraft' Maker for $2.5 Billion
- Back to School, Even in Immigration Jail
- Hispanic Buying Power Slow but Growing in South
- When to Say No to Investors, Yes to Mentors
- Apple: Record iPhones 6 Orders on 1st Day
- U.S. Factory Output Slowed 0.4 Percent in August
- Is a Mayweather, Pacquiao Big-Money Fight Possible?
- Clinton: 'Fabulous to Be Back' in Iowa
- DOJ Launches Program to Thwart U.S. Extremists