Barreto, who will be honored with the 2014 Community College Mentor Award, is a first-generation American, whose parents did all they could to ensure their children appreciated and received a good education.
Barreto earned a B.S. in biology and secondary education from
When dinosaur fossils were discovered with cellular structure preserved, Barreto went off to the
Prior to coming to UNM-Valencia campus, Barreto was the undergraduate science education specialist at UW Milwaukee (1996-2005). As a professor at UNM-Valencia, she can devote herself to enhancing teaching and learning by working directly with students and coordinating the institution's assessment activities.
Barreto is involved in numerous volunteer activities including a literacy program in which her Therapy Dogs play a key role in helping children learn to read.
For more information about the award, contact
TNS 30TagarumaMar-140731-4814047 30TagarumaMar
Most Popular Stories
- Tablets, Cars Drive AT&T Gains
- 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata Is Fast and Eager
- Small Businesses Add 3 More Worries to Their List
- DOMA Tech Adding Jobs to Process VA Claims
- Apple Warns of China iCloud Attack
- Job Hunting Is Hard Work
- Tech Firms Flock to LA's 'Silicon Beach'
- Stocks Subdued After Gains Earlier in Week
- Ford, GM Expect to Report Strong Profits
- Consumer Prices Edge Up, Surprising Economists