The Standard & Poor's 500 index fell five points, or 0.3 percent, to 1,964 as of
The Dow Jones industrial average lost 84 points, or 0.5 percent, to 16,827. The Nasdaq composite edged up six points to 4,449.
Phone and utility companies fell the most in the S&P 500 index.
Bond prices fell after the U.S. government reported surprisingly strong growth in the economy this spring.
The yield on the 10-year Treasury note jumped to 2.53 percent from 2.46 percent.
Most Popular Stories
- Paniagua Wins Grand Prize in Young Artists Program
- Cable TV Not Going Away, Says Cable TV
- Yaris Adds French Flair for US Market
- German Intelligence Blames Ukraine Rebels for MH17
- Turkey to Help Kurds Reach Fight in Kobani
- Sub Hunt Brings Cold War Chill Back to Baltic
- 'Fury' Blows 'Gone Girl' Out of the Box Office
- ISIS Seeks to Expand Terror War
- IBM to Pay Big to Unload Chip Division
- Perez Leads Push for Obama's Job Proposals