The Standard & Poor's 500 index fell five points, or 0.3 percent, to 1,964 as of
The Dow Jones industrial average lost 84 points, or 0.5 percent, to 16,827. The Nasdaq composite edged up six points to 4,449.
Phone and utility companies fell the most in the S&P 500 index.
Bond prices fell after the U.S. government reported surprisingly strong growth in the economy this spring.
The yield on the 10-year Treasury note jumped to 2.53 percent from 2.46 percent.
Most Popular Stories
- U.S. Families 'Extraordinarily Vulnerable': Yellen
- Hillary Clinton to Address CHCI Conference
- Larry Ellison Steps Down as Oracle CEO
- Alibaba Prices IPO at $68 a Share
- Apple Locks Itself Out of Devices
- Veterans to Get Training as Solar Panel Installers
- Hispanics Doubt Marco Rubio's Chances
- Wildfires Rage in California
- John Cantlie Delivers ISIS Message to Save Life
- Alibaba: Today China, Tomorrow the World