The US government has asked critical infrastructure operators to review computer networks to see if they are infected with malicious software from the "Energetic Bear" hacking group, which private researchers say is tied to the Russian government.
ICS-CERT on Tuesday advised critical infrastructure operators to tighten security, and provided them a list of specific steps to better protect their systems. It also asked them to check to see if their systems had been infected.
"ICS-CERT strongly recommends that organisations check their network logs for activity associated with this campaign," DHS said in an alert on its Web site on Tuesday. "Any organisation experiencing activity related to this report should preserve available evidence for forensic analysis and future law enforcement purposes."
The request follows another alert last week on Havex from ICS-CERT, which said the agency and
Havex is a Remote Access Trojan, or RAT, that grants hackers control of an infected machine. While RATs are typically used for espionage, they can be used for other purposes, including downloading other malicious tools onto compromised machines.
"They are scanning and mapping out industrial control system networks," said
The Energetic Bear gang was first identified in January by researchers with cyber security firm CrowdStrike, which said the group was linked to the Russian government and was focused on espionage.
The security software maker said it believed the intended targets of the group were in the energy and industrial sectors. Geographically, the most activity was in
Most Popular Stories
- 'Lucy's' Super Powers Tops 'Hercules' at Box Office
- The 2014 Fastest-Growing 100
- Vancrest Assisted Living Project to Add 20 Jobs
- The Rise and Fall of Richard Alarcon
- Fighting Blocks Investigators, Police From MH17 Crash Site
- VW Site Could Mean Another 2,000 Jobs for Chattanooga
- Insecticides Permeate U.S. Food, Water Supply
- U.N. Renews Demand for Gaza Cease-Fire
- Nissan Profits Rise on Growth in U.S., China
- 'Sharknado' Sequel Has Bite and Lots of Laughs