At any time, let alone in a morning concert,
Some pianists attempt to cushion the impact of the Hammerklavier, to civilise it, to put some distance between their performance and the white heat of its invention. Osborne didn't. The way he plunged into the opening movement could have been reckless: things did seem a bit precarious when the music suddenly veered into a harmonic world that not even
The rest of the recital was made up of works composed immediately before the Hammerklavier, in 1816 and 1817.
Cheltenham Music festival continues until 13 July.
Most Popular Stories
- Doctor Who Christmas Episode Begins Production
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas
- SpaceX Aims for Predawn Launch on Saturday
- Women Key to Democratic Party: Clinton
- U.S. Chamber Caught Up in Tax Inversion Question
- Feds Won't Say How Many Border Crossers Jailed
- Christie Didn't Order Bridge Shut Down, Feds Say