New Nanoribbons Findings Reported from INSTM (Correlation between atomistic morphology and electron transport properties in defect-free and defected graphene nanoribbons: An interpretation through Clar sextet theory)
The news reporters obtained a quote from the research from INSTM, "Namely, armchair GNRs exhibit a strong dependence of the transport properties on the ribbon width, as a consequence of different valence bond representations. The occurrence of localized defects involving electron pairs does not significantly alter this behavior. Conversely, transport properties of zigzag GNRs are less affected by morphological details, such as width and occurrence of defects, as expected from the application of Clar's theory. However, controlled edge functionalization and morphology modifications in zigzag GNRs can potentially lead to localization of aromatic sextets and, consequently, to strong changes in the transport properties. Our work indicates Clar sextet theory as a powerful and accurate tool to rationalize and predict the electronic and transport properties of complex carbon nanostructures based on GNRs."
According to the news reporters, the research concluded: "These principles can be extended to the design of novel systems with potential applications in nanoelectronics."
For more information on this research see: Correlation between atomistic morphology and electron transport properties in defect-free and defected graphene nanoribbons: An interpretation through Clar sextet theory. Carbon, 2014;75():190-200. Carbon can be contacted at:
Our news correspondents report that additional information may be obtained by contacting
Keywords for this news article include:
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2014, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- Steve Ballmer Files Six-Figure Counterclaim vs. Steve Gordon
- Creepers! Microsoft Buys 'Minecraft' Maker for $2.5 Billion
- Back to School, Even in Immigration Jail
- When to Say No to Investors, Yes to Mentors
- Hispanic Buying Power Slow but Growing in South
- Apple: Record iPhones 6 Orders on 1st Day
- U.S. Factory Output Slowed 0.4 Percent in August
- Is a Mayweather, Pacquiao Big-Money Fight Possible?
- Clinton: 'Fabulous to Be Back' in Iowa
- 'No Good Deed' Defeats 'Guardians' at Theaters