Like many homeowners,
NeighborWorks America urges homeowners to avoid paying for a loan modification or to stop a foreclosure. They released a video featuring everyday people that illustrates how homeowners, like
"Homeowners could be vulnerable to a scam if they seek a loan modification from a third party, whether their mortgage is current or delinquent. Loan scam artists are relentless. We tell consumers that being asked for a payment, especially upfront, is the #1 sign of a scam," says
Loan modification scams can be difficult to spot but the top signs include:
1. A company/person asks for a fee in advance to work with your lender to modify, refinance or reinstate your mortgage.
2. A company/person guarantees they can stop a foreclosure or get your loan modified.
3. A company/person advises you to stop paying your mortgage company and pay them instead.
Homeowners are encouraged to seek free assistance from a HUD-approved counseling agency. "In addition to helping homeowners seek a modification or stop foreclosure, housing counselors can determine if they may qualify for mortgage assistance programs or other types of assistance. They can refer homeowners to free or low-cost legal assistance if needed," said
To find a local HUD-approved counseling agency, speak to a housing counselor 24 hours a day or report a scam, call 888-995-HOPE (4673). Or visit LoanScamAlert.org to learn more.
The campaign web site is also available in Spanish at AlertaFraudedeHipoteca.org. Materials are also available in Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese and Haitian Creole.
TNS 24HariRad-140703-30FurigayJane-4786525 30FurigayJane
Most Popular Stories
- Businesses, Investors Pressing for Green Policy
- Who's Next? More Nude Celeb Pics Hacked, Leaked
- Tips for Hiding, Securing Data on Smartphones
- E-scrap Recyclers Find Profits in Upgrades
- Congress Casts a Coy Vote on ISIS War
- 'The Voice' Sounds Different This Season
- Iran Says Syria Strikes Illegal
- At Groupon, Not a Good Deal of Workplace Diversity
- Lower Used-Car Prices Roil the Auto Industry
- ISIS Calls for Jihad Against 'Filthy French'