The 27-year-old model who has now become an international ambassador for
"My project is meant to assist young female farmers to access resources, from financial and even training for the betterment of their work. It was in that respect that we assisted Joyce Machiya with the loan so that she could resuscitate her bakery. The condition for the loan was that she employs youths if her business excels," she said.
The US-based model whose organisation,
"When I came here, winning the crown was the most important part of the pageant but from my experiences, I have since rearranged my priorities. I have spoken to people who are in need and I realise it is more important to make a difference in people's lives," she said.
Yona is also taking her FYFCZ ambassadorial roles seriously and has since pledged to reward the outstanding young farmers with educational trips overseas.
"As a way of motivating young farmers, I am working with my organisation to afford the outstanding farmer one week trip to
Yona is currently in the Miss Africa US top 15 after shaking off competition from 30 other contestants at the semi-finals held in
Before entering the pageant, Yona was a budding model in
Most Popular Stories
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Hispanic Groups Lead Voter Registration Drive
- Eva Mendes Gives Birth to a Baby Girl
- Fed Signals It Will Keep Key Rate at Record Low
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Stocks Rise Before Fed Statement
- Occupy Wall Street Buys Up Student Debt
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays