SAO PAULO (AP) — A technology security company says it has uncovered a massive cybercrime ring in Brazil that may have stolen billions of dollars from a widely used online payment system.
The RSA Security division of EMC Corp. says in a research report released Wednesday that a "malware-based fraud ring" had infiltrated the online payment method known as the boleto, diverting payments to accounts held by members of the ring.
Boletos are used in a wide range of transactions, such as telephone, school tuition, mortgage and credit card payments.
The report said the scheme may have compromised close to 500,000 transactions over a two-year period with an estimated value of $3.8 billion. However, researchers were unable to determine how many boletos were paid.
Most Popular Stories
- U.S. Families 'Extraordinarily Vulnerable': Yellen
- Hillary Clinton to Address CHCI Conference
- Larry Ellison Steps Down as Oracle CEO
- Alibaba Prices IPO at $68 a Share
- Veterans to Get Training as Solar Panel Installers
- Apple Locks Itself Out of Devices
- Hispanics Doubt Marco Rubio's Chances
- Wildfires Rage in California
- John Cantlie Delivers ISIS Message to Save Life
- Alibaba: Today China, Tomorrow the World