News Column

Waste haulers seek chance to bid on Manatee County's estimated $140 million business

July 29, 2014

By Sara Kennedy, The Bradenton Herald



July 29--MANATEE -- The Manatee County Commission should pause and review all its options before allowing a renewal of solid waste contracts worth an estimated $140 million instead of using an open bidding process, speakers said Tuesday.

Representatives of solid waste hauling firms that would like to compete for the county's business suggested that commissioners consider advances in automated collection services; asking for rebates on recycled material; and other upgrades not mentioned in a proposal to retain the two current haulers over a multi-year term.

"We are asking that the county step back and pump the brakes a little bit," said John Clifford, municipal services manager for Republic Services, of Tampa.

Last month, commissioners unanimously approved a plan to proceed with a renewal of solid waste franchise agreements with current haulers, Waste Pro of Florida Inc., and Waste Management Inc of Florida.

Commissioners are slated to make a decision after an as-yet unscheduled public hearing.

Agreements with the current haulers expire in 2016, and may be renewed for up to one additional term, not to exceed seven years, according to county documents.

Sara Kennedy, Herald reporter, can be reached at 941-745-7031. Follow her on Twitter

___

(c)2014 The Bradenton Herald (Bradenton, Fla.)

Visit The Bradenton Herald (Bradenton, Fla.) at www.bradenton.com

Distributed by MCT Information Services


For more stories on investments and markets, please see HispanicBusiness' Finance Channel



Source: Bradenton Herald (FL)


Story Tools






HispanicBusiness.com Facebook Linkedin Twitter RSS Feed Email Alerts & Newsletters