WestJet in focus
The S&P/TSX composite index dipped 9.82 points to open Tuesday at 15,445.22.
The Canadian dollar toppled
Talisman Energy Inc, which has been approached by
WestJet Airlines Ltd posted a bigger-than-expected quarterly profit as higher ticket prices and fees helped it offset steeper fuel costs and a weaker Canadian dollar. WestJet shares acquired
Fortis Inc is pushing ahead with a
Barclays raised the target price on Canadian Utilities to
All but two of the 14 Toronto subgroups gained at the outset, mostly telecoms, up 0.9%, while the metals and mining and global base metal sectors each climbed 0.7%.
The two laggards were gold, down 0.5%, and materials, off only marginally.
Stocks didn't do much in early trading Tuesday -- a day after the market was mostly spinning its wheels.
The Dow Jones Industrials strengthened 63.10 points to kick off the session at 17.045.69.
The S&P 500 moved five points higher to 1,983.91. The NASDAQ composite took on 23.19 points to 4,468.10
Shipping giant UPS reported earnings that were short of what
Apple is less than 2% from an all-time high, with the stock inching closer to
Shares have rallied lately following a stock split that brought the stock price to a more affordable level for average investors.
Herbalife, the nutritional supplement producer that has been going to war with hedge fund investor
Prices for 10-year U.S. Treasuries gained ground, dropping yields to 2.47% from Monday's 2.49%. Treasury prices and yields move in opposite directions.
Oil prices slipped
Gold prices descended
Most Popular Stories
- Alabama House Speaker Arrested on Felony Ethics Charges
- 'Fury' Blows 'Gone Girl' Out of the Box Office
- German Intelligence Blames Ukraine Rebels for MH17
- Turkey to Help Kurds Reach Fight in Kobani
- ISIS Seeks to Expand Terror War
- Clinton Rallies Early Vote for Landrieu
- Car Drivers Warned to Get Air Bags Fixed
- 'Fury' Gets Into Soldiers' Minds: Brad Pitt
- Prius Drivers Battle Stereotypes
- Perez Leads Push for Obama's Job Proposals