Despite the pullback by the broader markets, significant strength remains visible among biotechnology stocks. The NYSE Arca Biotechnology Index has pulled back off its high for the session but is still up by 2.3%.
Within the biotech sector,
Telecom stocks also continue to see some strength in mid-day trading, with
The gain by Windstream comes after the advanced network communications provider announced plans to spin off certain assets into an independent, publicly traded real estate investment trust.
Meanwhile, utilities stocks have come under pressure over the course of the trading day, dragging the Philadelphia Utility Sector Index down by 1%. Transportation stocks have also moved to the downside.
Currently, the major averages are lingering near the unchanged line. While the S&P 500 is down 1.94 points or 0.1% at 1,976.97, the Dow is up 0.50 points or less than a tenth of a % at 16,983.09 and the Nasdaq is up 8.00 points or 0.2% at 4,452.91.
Most Popular Stories
- Businesses, Investors Pressing for Green Policy
- Who's Next? More Nude Celeb Pics Hacked, Leaked
- Tips for Hiding, Securing Data on Smartphones
- ISIS Calls for Jihad Against 'Filthy French'
- Cristela Gets a Big Thumbs Up
- Hispanic Enterprises Drive U.S. Economy
- Iran Says Syria Strikes Illegal
- Would You Trade Privacy for Job Security?
- Lower Used-Car Prices Roil the Auto Industry
- E-scrap Recyclers Find Profits in Upgrades