The deputy EAC secretary general in charge of Planning and Infrastructure, Dr
In a statement from the EAC Secretariat, Bukuku said though various projects under implementation were being funded by the continental bank, more financial and technical support was still needed in different sectors.
AfDB finances projects in road transport, customs, energy, civil aviation, ICT, education, gender and community development, environment and natural resources.
"More support is still required in areas of infrastructure development, trade facilitation, policy harmonisation as well as deepening regional and continental integration," he said in a statement.
He told the meeting that the Bank's current portfolio in EAC consists of 126 ongoing projects with a total commitment value of
About 70 per cent (
The other 30 per cent, according to him, has been allocated to agriculture, social sector, finance and multi-sector.
In May this year, Dr
In an interview with The New Times, Kaberuka said the Bank had prioritised such projects to facilitate trade in the region.
"We are trying to promote this kind of infrastructure across the continent in order to cut down the cost of doing business," Kaberuka said.
Movement of people and goods have been eased after the completion of Nemba One Stop Border post with customs clearance now done in five minutes since both customs and immigration officials from the two countries are now operating under the same roof.
Most Popular Stories
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- 10 Things to Know About Alibaba
- Five Steps to Protect Yourself from Data Breaches
- Concur Sold to SAP for $8.3B
- Chrysler Recalls Nearly 189,000 SUVs
- Federal Probe Finds Christie Did Not Order 'Bridgegate'
- Intruder Gets into White House
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton