President Enrique PeÑa Nieto's administration is working to fight crime and people trafficking in
The government has "crafted a code of ethics adopted by an increasing number of tourism service providers" with the goal of "preventing sexual exploitation, but also labor (exploitation)," the tourism secretary said in response to a question from reporters.
"We are committed to a responsible and ethical tourism industry,"
The government has made an effort to clarify news about crime, while "making it known what
Sustainable tourism is another area under development, with the protection of heritage sites being entrusted to "the communities themselves" so residents will view them "as an asset to protect," the tourism secretary said.
The tourism industry accounts for about 9 percent of
Most Popular Stories
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Hispanic Groups Lead Voter Registration Drive
- Eva Mendes Gives Birth to a Baby Girl
- Fed Signals It Will Keep Key Rate at Record Low
- Stocks Rise Before Fed Statement
- Occupy Wall Street Buys Up Student Debt
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays